Verification is a process created by the U.S. Department of Education to confirm the accuracy of information provided on the FAFSA. The verification process requires our office to verify or confirm the data reported by you and/or your parent(s) on the FAFSA.
If you are selected for verification an email will be sent to your UA Crimson email account, and you will be required to provide documentation to verify the information you reported on the FAFSA. All updates are viewable via your myBama account.
The verification process is not complete and federal financial aid will not be awarded until all submitted documentation has been verified by our office and the U.S. Department of Education has received and accepted any changes to the original FASFA data.
How will I know if I am selected for verification?
You will be notified by your UA Crimson email and by the U.S. Postal Service if you have any outstanding requirements that must be met before a federal financial aid award will be made.
You can review outstanding requirements on your myBama account in the Financial Aid Requirements section.
If you were selected for verification, the documentation you submit will be compared to the original FAFSA and corrections may be made. These corrections could change the student's EFC (Expected Family Contribution) which could affect the award amount. If corrections were made you will receive a new SAR (Student Aid Report) from the Department of Education.
How should I submit my verification documents?
Documents that are needed for verification can be submitted to our office in the following ways:
- Visit us at 106 Student Services Center and submit in person
- Mail: See our contact page for mailing address.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: (205) 348-2989
What happens after I complete verification?
After verification is completed you will be notified by UA Crimson email and U.S. Postal Service when a federal financial aid award has been made. The award may be viewed on your myBama account under the Financial Aid Awards section.
If my application was not selected for verification should I still submit documentation?
Submitting unrequired documents could slow down the award process. You will be notified by your UA Crimson email and by the U.S. Postal Service if you have any outstanding requirements that must be met before a federal financial aid award will be made.
How do I Request an IRS Tax Return Transcript?
- Click "Get Transcript by Mail"
- Acknowledge the disclosure pop up box that appears by clicking "OK"
- Complete the required fields (SSN, Date of Birth, etc.) and click "Continue"
- Follow the prompts to request a transcript
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their online request, within 5 to 10 business days from the time the on-line request was successfully transmitted to the IRS.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested online cannot be mailed to an address other than the address on file with the IRS.
Transcript toll free telephone line:
- Transcripts are available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their Social Security Number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed.
- Select the option to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter the year you are requesting.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their telephone request within 5 to 10 business days from the time the IRS receives the request.
IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ should be used when requesting an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Complete lines 1 - 4, following the instructions on Page 2 of the form.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS. (Do not list The University of Alabama as a third party to receive the Tax Transcript. It will be difficult for the Student Financial Aid Office to match a parent's incoming IRS Tax Return Transcript to the aid applicant, as the two names may be different.
- On Line 6, enter "2016" to receive tax information for the 2016 tax year.
- The tax filer must sign and date the form and enter his/her telephone number.
- When requesting a transcript using the paper process, either spouse may submit the request and only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on Page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 10 business days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request.
For fiscal year filers, use the IRS Form 4506-T.
Per federal regulations, we cannot accept copies of tax returns for verification purposes. An official IRS Tax Return Transcript is required. A Tax Account Transcript cannot be accepted in place of an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
How to Request Verification of Non-filing
Verification of Non-filing provides proof that the IRS has no record of a filed Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ for the year you requested. Non-Tax filers can request an IRS Verification of Non-Filing of their 2016 tax return status free of charge.Online Request
- Go to the IRS Web site.
- Click on "File" on the homepage (top left under IRS logo).
- Under "Popular" click on "Get Your Tax Record".
- Click "Get Transcript ONLINE".
- Enter the non-tax filer's Social Security Number, email address, filing status, account numbers for loan or credit card associated with your name, and mobile phone associated with your name.
- Click "Continue"
- "Verification of Non-filing Letter" and in the Tax Year field, select "2016".
- If successfully validated, you will be able to view your IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter.
- Download IRS Form 4506-T.
- Complete lines 1-4, following the instructions on Page 2 of the form.
- Line 3: Enter the non-tax filer's street address and zip or postal code. Use the address currently on file with the IRS.
- Line 5 provides non-tax filers with the option to have their IRS Verification of Non-filing mailed directly to a third party. Do not list The University of Alabama as a third party to receive the IRS Verification of Non-Filing.
- Line 6a, 6b, 6c or 7: Select the checkbox on the right hand side for one of these options to request Verification of Non-filing.
- Line 9: Year or period requested field, enter "12/31/2016".
- The non-tax filer must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required when requesting a joint IRS Verification of Non-filing.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506-T to the address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506-T.
- If the 4506-T information is successfully validated, you can expect to receive a paper IRS Verification of Non-filing at the address provided on the request within 5 to 10 days.
Are there special circumstances when I will need to submit documentation other than an IRS Tax Return Transcript?
If you are a victim of IRS Identity Theft and have been selected for verification you must provide a copy of your Tax Return DataBase View (TRDBV) along with a signed and dated statement indicating that you are a victim and that the IRS has been notified. To obtain a TRDBV, call 1-800-908-4490
If you file an extension and you have been selected for verification you may submit a signed copy of your IRS Form 4868 along with a copy of all W-2 forms, verification of non-filing letter from the IRS, and a copy of the IRS’s approval of extension beyond the automatic six-month extension. If you are self-employed, you will need to submit a statement certifying the amount of your Adjusted Gross Income for the tax year.
If you filed an amended tax return you will need to turn in a signed copy of your IRS Form 1040X along with a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript for your original return.
Foreign Tax Return
You will need to submit a transcript from the relevant taxing authority listing tax account information for the tax year. Transcripts can be obtained at no cost. If this is not possible, then a signed copy of the tax return filed with the taxing authority is acceptable.
Foreign tax returns should be the equivalent to the IRS Form 1040. The income should be reported on the FAFSA in U.S. dollars at the exchange rate at the time of the FAFSA.
For tax filers in Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or U.S. Virgin Islands tax returns should be equivalent to the IRS Form 1040A or 1040EZ.
What if I am selected for Identity/Statement of Educational Purpose form but cannot appear in person?
- If you cannot appear in person, you must contact Student Financial Aid by email at email@example.com or call (205) 348-6756, to request additional information and/or instructions.
- Notarized forms must be mailed back along with a copy of your unexpired, valid government issued photo ID. (Action Cards are NOT an acceptable form of photo ID.)
- We cannot accept faxed or scanned copies.