Student Financial Aid processes the following types of funds:


A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. Federal Pell Grants are awarded to students who are eligible based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The amount you get will also depend on your status as a full-time or part-time student.

Read More


Students apply for consideration for Federal Direct Loans and UA institutional loans by completing the FAFSA. The University of Alabama federal loan default rate is 5.1 percent as of September of 2019 compared to the national average of 10.1.

Read More

Work Study

The Federal Work Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study. To be eligible, a student must apply early due to the limited nature of funding. Application must be made prior to the December 1st priority date to receive Federal Work Study funding.

Read More