Helpful Hints for completing your FAFSA
You must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for each academic year you would like to receive aid.
To increase your chances of being considered for programs with limited funds, complete and submit the FAFSA as soon after October 1 as possible. Get it done FAST! Complete the FAFSA online at fafsa.ed.gov.
Completing the FAFSA
- Read all instructions.
- Provide only the information requested on the FAFSA.
- Use your legal name - not nicknames - and your correct social security number.
- If your parents are divorced, you must use the information for the parent you lived with most in the last 12 months. If that parent is remarried, you must also include the stepparent's income. Be sure to provide the information requested about your parents.
- Make sure you include #001051 on your list of school codes. Also, if you were required to provide parental information, a parent is also required to sign the FAFSA.
- If you complete the FAFSA electronically, don't forget to sign using your FSA ID.
- Allow 2-3 weeks for your FAFSA to be processed. If after 4 weeks you have not received a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Federal Processor, call them at 1-800-433-3243 (1-800-4FEDAID).